Saturday 2 April 2016

The Wonders of Geofilters

For those who don't know what a 'geofilter' on Snapchat is. This is a geofilter.

See that thing down the bottom saying 'Flinders University 50 Years'? It can only be accessed whilst on Flinders University grounds!

Personally I think it's pretty cool. Where ever you are in the world, if someone has made a geofilter for that area, you can have not just a pretty little graphic on your snap but also a really important marketing tool.
For example, anyone who I send this snap to now knows that Flinders University is celebrating it's 50 birthday. A fact that probably none of my friends in the other states of Australia know.
It's also fantastic for the tourism industry, if a friend sends you a snap of a really pretty mountain range that you had never been to and if seen on other social media platforms, it would have probably remained unknown to you. However on Snapchat with a geofilter, the area in which the photo is taken is immediately displayed in an aesthetically pleasing way on your Snap. Effectively advertising, and even better recommending, wherever the Snap was taken!

Now I feel as if I had better explain how to actually use the geofilters because while I was asking friends to send me a snap with their areas geofilter on, the most common reply I got was 'What's a geofilter?' and then followed by 'How do I get it on there?'. So...

How to put a geofilter on your snap:

  1. Take a photo on Snapchat
  2. Swipe to the left
  3. Continue swiping to the left until a geofilter comes up
N.b. Some areas may not have a geofilter.

All photos used with permission

No comments:

Post a Comment